Are there guidelines for managing food allergies in schools?
In consultation with the U.S. Department of Education, the CDC developed the Voluntary Guidelines for Managing Food Allergies in Schools and Early Care and Education Centers in fulfillment of the 2013 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act to improve food safety in the United States.
These Guidelines provide practical information and recommendations for each of the five priority areas that are addressed in each school’s Food Allergy Management Prevention Plan:
- Ensure the daily management of food allergies in individual children.
- Prepare for food allergy emergencies.
- Provide professional development on food allergies for staff members.
- Educate children and family members about food allergies.
- Create and maintain a healthy and safe educational environment.