Return to Headlines
Keys to a Great School Year
Over the Summer
- Take your child to the dentist and doctor for a yearly checkup.
- Make sure your child’s immunizations are up-to-date.
- Visit the library weekly.
- Make sure your child is enrolled in school for the fall.
- Make sure your child’s information AND parent or family information is up-to-date with your child’s school.
- Have all the proper, up-to-date documents needed to register your child for school.
- Fulfill your child’s back-to-school supply list. If you don’t have a copy, contact your child’s school for one or view it online by visiting www.oxfordsd.org/OSD-Supply-Lists.
- Attend your child’s back-to-school event.
The First of the School Year
- Make sure parent or family contact information is up-to-date with your child’s school.
- Put up your child’s school calendar in the home where everyone can see it.
- Help your child set goals for good grades this school year.
Every School Morning during the School Year
- Get your child up in time to have breakfast at home or at school.
- Get to school early.
- Give your child their own alarm clock and help them use it.
After School during the School Year
- Ask your child about their day and check for notes from school.
- Review the day’s homework assignments.
- Make sure there is enough time and a comfortable working space for your child to complete their homework at home.
Every Nine Weeks
- Check your child’s report card for grades and attendance. Good attendance is less than two days missed every nine weeks.
- Praise your child when he or she has shown academic growth.
During the School Year
- Attend school events with your child.
- Join the school’s Parent Teacher Organization (PTO).
- Attend parent-teacher conferences.
- Get to know your child’s teachers and school administrators.
- Ask for help when you and your child need it.
- Praise your child for working hard and learning!