Return to Headlines
Oxford School District Retirees Celebrated for Years of Service
Oxford, Mississippi (May 15, 2023) — Oxford School District (OSD) employees retiring this school year were honored during the OSD Retirement Reception on Wednesday, May 10, 2023, in the OSD Board Room. Friends, families, coworkers, and school officials celebrated the following district employees for their service to public education and dedication to Oxford School District students, parents, and the community:
Kathy Allen, Floretta Certion, Stephanie Clark, Dr. Sarah Green, Michael Hardwick, Ruth Higginbottom, Dr. SuzAnne Liddell, Katrina Patterson, Tammy Reid, and Dana Ryals.
Kathy Allen, Oxford Middle School
- Teacher: Computer Discovery, ICT II2, and Cyber Foundations I1 and II2
- Has been in the Oxford School District since 1998.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration from the University of Mississippi and certified in Cyber Foundations I1 and II2 and Social Studies.
- Kathy was selected as Teacher of the Year by her colleagues in 2006. She shares a wonderful memory from a conference in Atlanta, Georgia when she was introduced to Code.org, a coding platform she uses in her curriculum. “The Seattle-based group offered us the finest food (Salmon shipped from Seattle) with some of our country's most amazing young technology innovators." She says “However, my most precious moments have been with my students when they realize their potential and are energized by knowledge through our time together.”
- Her husband is Patrick and daughter, Ashley Allen.
- She plans to travel to Portland Oregon to spend some time with her daughter and continue their Airbnb business on their lake property.
Floretta Certion, Oxford High School
- Support Staff
- Came to Oxford School District 2021
- In retirement, she’s already gone back to work full-time at Chick-fil-a
Dr. Sarah Green, Oxford Intermediate School
- Dr. Green is an INSIGHTS teacher in the Oxford School District since 2004. She possesses a Bachelor or Arts, Master of Arts: Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Education Professional Studies: Educational Leadership
- She has taught 6th Grade Language Arts, Gifted and also served as the Gifted Assessment Coordinator, Math Tier Interventionist, OASIS Tutor, Summer School Math- Language Arts. She has served the district in many capacities such as Acceleration Kindergarten, Girls Science Club Sponsor, Girls and Boys Fitness Club Sponsor, Yearbook Sponsor, Get Ready to Run sponsor, Girls Book Club Sponsor, Go Jim Go Bike-a-thon Sponsor.
- Dr. Green said “providing students with experiences different from the typical classroom is what has always motivated me. Watching students experience something for the first time is priceless- —when the light bulb goes off! Every teacher lives for that light bulb moment. We all are hoping and that hope for each child to succeed is what keeps us coming back each day”.
- After retiring, she plans to spend time with her family, play a lot of tennis, run many miles, and go on mission trips. She has two children, Mary Lauren Green and Jimmy Green
Mike Hardwick, Oxford Middle School
- 7th and 8th grade: Boys PE, Boys Health, Head Track Coach, Head Football Coach
Has taught in the Oxford School District since 2006
- Bachelor's Degree and Masters in Secondary Ed from Mississippi State
- Masters in Education in Curriculum and Instruction from Mississippi College
- Mike says that a significant moment in his career was:
- Boys Track: undefeated over last 12 years. Meet record of 72-0.
- Football 6 undefeated seasons over 17 years. The program began with a total of 45 players; this past year we had 120 players.
- His team won multiple academic achievement awards for GPA improvement from one year to another.
- Married to “Deb” and they have 2 Children - Kelsey (37) and Mary Michael (32)
- After retirement, he plans to enjoy “daily power naps”
Ruth Mae Higginbottom, Oxford Intermediate School
- Ruth has been a teacher's assistant for 23 years in the Oxford School District. She has a masters degree in Elementary Education.
- She says her most memorable years were spent at The Scott Center.
- She is proud of her children Terrace, X'aiver and Jairus.
Dr. SuzAnne Liddell, Administrator
- Dr. Liddell served the Oxford School District since 2004. She has served as Assistant Principal at Bramlett Elementary, Principal of Bramlett Elementary, Director of Federal Programs, Director of Student Assessment, Gifted Coordinator, Director of Student Registration, Health and Wellness Coordinator, EL Coordinator, and Chief of Accountability and Accreditation.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology-Mississippi State University, Master of Education in Gifted Studies-Mississippi University for Women, Educational Specialist in School Administration-Mississippi State University, Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Leadership-University of Mississippi.
- When asked about her most memorable moment, she says “ Nothing will ever compare to seeing firsthand the “light bulb” moment when students at Bramlett learned to read!”
- Dr. Liddell is married to Todd Liddell. During retirement, she plans to sit in the sun and catch up on everything she wanted to read over the years but didn’t!
Katrina Harris Patterson, Oxford Middle School
- Visual Art and Ceramic Instructor at OMS
- Language Art teacher at Della
- Social Studies teacher at OIS
- Mrs. Patterson has been a part of the Oxford School District since 2008. Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education with minor in Art.
- A significant moment for Katrina was when she was chosen as Teacher of the Year while teaching at Della Davidson.
- Husband- Craig Patterson, son- Ben Myers and wife Ashley, daughter- Madi Blocker Garcia with husband Chris and their two boys, Leo and Nico.
- After retiring, she is moving to Panama City Beach, Florida, to be with her husband. She plans on painting, creating pottery, and resuming her art business. Most of all, she plans on spending a lot of time on the beach and fishing.
Tammy Reid, Della Davidson Elementary
- 2nd Grade ELA Teacher
- Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education, National Board Certification Literature/Writing. Mrs. Reid joined the Oxford School District in 2005
- She says that her greatest moments in the OSD “have been watching my students grow while not only in my classroom but throughout the years. There's no greater compliment than when a former student sends you an e-mail or stops you somewhere only to say, "You were my favorite!" or "You taught me so much!." These are the gifted moments that make what I do the BEST career in the world knowing that I have made a difference. I have loved impacting the lives of my students and their families.”
- Her husband is Lee Reid IIIthe third, and her daughter is Ashlee Reid Jacobs
- After a career of 27 1/2 years as an educator, she is looking forward to being a full-time Grandmother to both Reid and Virginia along with making every moment a memory with my husband and extended family.
Dana Ryals, Central Elementary
- 4th ELA teacher
- She has been in the Oxford School District since 2010.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education from Mississippi State University
- Master’s Degree in Elementary Education from Blue Mountain College
- When asked about the significant moments in her career, she said “I have made lifelong friends I will never forget.”
- Husband- Larry Ryals, Children- Will Jumper, Carley Jumper
- After retiring, Dana plans to Read and travel!