Kermit’s Kids Reading Program
Oxford, Mississippi (January 29, 2021) — Ole Miss Athletics is excited to announce the official launch of Coach Kermit Davis’ new reading program, Kermit’s Kids! Kermit’s Kids is a part of the Stronger Together campaign at Ole Miss by focusing on literacy in first through third grades in local schools across Oxford.
Schools participating in the program include Central Elementary, Della Davidson Elementary, Lafayette Elementary, and Lafayette Upper Elementary. Each school’s librarian will monitor student progress using the Accelerated Reader (AR) Program to determine a monthly winner as well as an overall winner at the conclusion of the program. Kermit’s Kids officially starts February 1st and will run until April 30th where an overall grade-level winner and an overall classroom winner will be selected from each grade at each participating school.
Below is a breakdown of how students will be awarded throughout the program:
- Monthly Grade-level Winner
- Students who are making progress in the AR program will have their name entered in a drawing to be the monthly grade-level winner
- Winner will receive a certificate as well as a shoutout from the Ole Miss Men’s Basketball Team at a game and on their social media platforms
- Monthly Classroom Winner
- Winning class receives a Zoom call with Coach Davis and players
- Overall Grade-level Winner
- Top individual per grade-level per district
- Winner receives an Ole Miss Swag Bag and letter/video from Coach Kermit
- Overall Classroom Winner
- Top class per grade-level
- Winning class receives a signed poster and a pizza party via Zoom with staff and players