Barksdale Reading Institute
LOU Reads has been selected from over forty applicants to participate in the Barksdale Reading Institute Parent Academy for 2018-2019 school year. Tamara Hillmer, Director of Early Childhood and Reading Development, applied for the Barksdale Reading Institute Parent Academy in June 2018, on behalf of preschool parents in the LOU Reads community of Lafayette-Oxford-University.
The Barksdale Reading Institute Parent Academy is designed to help parents of rising kindergarteners understand what “kindergarten readiness” is and to equip and empower parents to work on kindergarten readiness skills with their child at home. The program is broken down into six hands-on modules that cover oral language, the alphabet & writing, print awareness & comprehension, early reading, math, general development (gross and fine motor skill, social/emotional development).
What is the LOU Parent Academy?
A series of interactive workshops that will help parents/guardians prepare their child/children to successfully start Kindergarten.
Together we will:
- learn what children need to know (and do) to be “ready for Kindergarten” in literacy, math, and general development;
- help parents identify areas that their children mat need extra support; and
- give parents/guardians FREE materials and activities that they can use at home to help prepare their child/children.
- The LOU Parent Academy will be held twice a month (one at each school) from October to April, with the exception of December.
- All materials will be provided for FREE!
- Limited Childcare (ages 3-6) will be provided for FREE to participants. A snack will be provided.
- ALL participants present will be entered to win door prizes at EACH session… They are GOOD ones, too!!!
- Each person that participates in ALL 6 sessions of the LOU Parent Academy will be eligible to receive a graduation gift in April!
- Cost: It is ALL FREE!!!
Who can attend?
Parents/Guardians of preschool children (four-year-olds) who will be entering Kindergarten at Bramlett Elementary School OR Lafayette Lower Elementary in the fall of 2019 (next school year).
Teachers, Assistants, other School Staff. Preschool workers (teachers, assistants, etc) will receive 1.5 contact hours for each session.
How to Register
Forms were sent home with preschool children in the LOU Community the week of October 1, 2018.
You can also register here or complete a form when you attend your first session.
REMEMBER: You can attend workshops at either school site, regardless of where your child will attend Kindergarten.
Dates and Times
The LOU Parent Academy is a series of 6 workshops. You can attend workshops at either school site, regardless of where your child will attend Kindergarten. All workshops are 5:30-7:00pm.
Bramlett Elementary School Cafeteria:
- Tuesday, October 16th
- Tuesday, November 13th
- Tuesday, January 8th
- Tuesday, February 12th
- Tuesday, March 5th
- Tuesday, April 9th
Lafayette Lower Elementary School Cafeteria:
- Tuesday, October 23rd
- Tuesday, November 27th
- Tuesday, January 22nd
- Tuesday, February 26th
- Tuesday, March 26
- Tuesday, April 23rd
Director of Early Childhood and Reading Development/LOU Reads