Barksdale Reading Institute
LOU Reads has been selected from over forty applicants to participate in the Barksdale Reading Institute Parent Academy for 2019-2020 school year. Tamara Hillmer, Director of Early Childhood and Reading Development, applied for the Barksdale Reading Institute Parent Academy in June 2018, on behalf of preschool parents in the LOU Reads community of Lafayette-Oxford-University.
The Barksdale Reading Institute Parent Academy is designed to help parents of rising kindergarteners understand what “kindergarten readiness” is and to equip and empower parents to work on kindergarten readiness skills with their child at home. The program is broken down into five hands-on modules that cover general development, oral language, reading/writing, and math.
What is the LOU Parent Academy?
A series of interactive workshops that will help parents/guardians prepare their child/children to successfully start Kindergarten.
Together we will:
- learn what children need to know (and do) to be “ready for Kindergarten” in literacy, math, and general development;
- help parents identify areas that their children may need extra support; and
- give parents/guardians FREE materials and activities that they can use at home to help prepare their child/children.
- The LOU Parent Academy will be held twice a month (one at each school) from October through March, with the exception of December.
- All materials will be provided for FREE!
- Limited Childcare (ages 3-6) will be provided for FREE to participants. Food will be provided.
- ALL participants present will be entered to win door prizes at EACH session… They are GOOD ones, too!
- Each person that participates in ALL 5 sessions of the LOU Parent Academy will be eligible to receive a graduation gift in April!
- Cost: It is ALL FREE!
Who can attend?
- Parents/Guardians of three-, four-, and five-year-olds.
- Teachers, Assistants, other School Staff. Preschool workers (teachers, assistants, etc.) will receive 1.5 contact hours for each session.
How to Register
You can register here or complete a form when you attend your first session.
REMEMBER: You can attend workshops at either school site, regardless of where your child attends Kindergarten.